Wooden pallets usually have top and bottom deck planks that are held together by three rails. Most of them are held together with screws or nails. The lumber is often heavy and breaks easily. This means that these pallets need to be replaced regularly.
The disadvantages of wooden pallets are:
• Wood is difficult to clean.
• The risk of contamination of wooden pallets means that they are not ideal for transporting many loads.
• When wood gets wet, it becomes a vulnerable breeding ground for bacteria that can carry over to other contaminants.
The advantages of wooden pallets are:
• Low initial cost.
• Easy to repair.
Plastic pallets are a proven and growing alternative to wood pallets. Unlike other types, they usually consist of one single piece. This means there are no weak points in the connections. They do not contain nails or screws that can damage the trucks or the load.
• Longer service life than wooden ones - often more than 10 years.
• Resistant to temperature extremes (used in the range from -20° to +60°C, without affecting their properties).
• Safe to operate.
• Easy cleaning and disinfection.
• Lighter than wooden counterparts.
• Higher initial cost.
• Repair is more difficult.
So, which type of pallet is more practical to use in your work?
It will be cheaper to purchase a wooden pallet, but the use of a plastic one will quickly pay off due to the possibility of their reusability and the advantages are much greater than that of wooden ones.